Arm Module Development

About the fabric modules:

The main idea of creating these modules is to get data from the body behavior such as movement, pulse, temperature, etc. to transform it into an external and automatic one.
From november until february we’ve been working on several details about ergonomics and the design for our arm and knee modules.
The summary & conclusions:

  • We are using Skuba fabric and 2mm neoprene.
  • No stitches – Yes to specific areas with two sided iron-adhesive fabric. (still evaluating options)
  • Create adjustable modules for our future body extensions workshops ( kids and grown ups ).
  • Create specific modules for Marc – dancer and choreographer of the project.
  • Avoid wires –  Yes to laser cut stretchable conductive fabric.
  • Work about visibility of modularity.



We began working based on a quick analysis on how “elbow & knee supports” are designed for sports or medical activities.  Our main objective was to create our modules suitable to different body sizes, so we worked on a shape that could adjust using velcro.


We measured Marc’s arm and worked with the following data:

Then we 3d-modeled his arm, based in the A-B-C-D circles and started to play with shapes and dimensions for stretchy fabrics such as skuba or lycra.


Experimentation results:

Picture above: 1st prototypes using velcro / stitches + neoprene + PCB module 

We made lots and lots and L O T S  and L O T S of different tests varying dimensions, shapes, materials, techniques, etc… Here some of our results:



Pictures above: Module size and shape tests

We definitely didn’t like how the stitches look when using neoprene and Skuba ( or other ) fabric. Neoprene is specially complicated to sew and our skills sewing are not the best. This is why we tried and preferred to use iron-adhesive fabric.

Finally we made 2 prototypes, one using skuba fabric and lycra, and the other combining neoprene and skuba stitches. What you will find here is the documentation of both.


Con el apoyo de: